Asheville Grown Business Alliance is a grassroots organization whose mission is to support independently owned businesses in the community, to continue growing a vibrant local economy while preserving the unique character of Asheville and to emphasize the critical importance of thinking locally first when considering the impact of national and global chains.
Local independent businesses generate 3 times more money back into the local economy and give greater support to a community’s non-profit and civic needs. They are better positioned to respond to the special needs of the community and inherently tied to our community’s future. Additionally they:
1. Grow Asheville’s Local Character and Inspire Entrepreneurship
2. Encourage Local Decision-Making
3. Increase Environmental Resiliency while Reducing Costs
4. Focus on Collaboration and Healthy Competition
5. Keep Dollars in Asheville’s Local Economy Resulting in More Jobs and Increased Wages
How can you get involved?
We are a volunteer-based organization, committed to developing a local economy aligned with principles of collaboration and a triple bottom line. For locally owned and independent businesses membership is free. Our strength is in numbers and we ask you to help spread the word. Additionally, you can join on to our Go Local Card and get listed in our Go Local Directory in support of our public schools.
To participate, locally owned businesses must meet these requirements:
- Independent and at least 50% owned in Buncombe County, North Carolina with no headquarters outside of NC.
- Privately held and free to make their own business decisions without the need for approval by owners or affiliates outside of the area
- Regionally located and have a limited number of outlets
- Not registered as a franchise or publicly owned corporation.
- An institution or non-profit headquartered in North Carolina with a location in Buncombe County wishing to take local procurement and sourcing to the next level
- Reflect the values of Asheville Grown by striving to build the local economy
Posters are available through Graphics Four downtown, wholesale t-shirts can be purchased through Image 420 or On a Roll Printing and both Malaprop’s Bookstore and Hip Replacements Clothing sell stickers and retail shirts. Thanks to My Newsletter Builder, you can sign up for our newsletter & keep abreast of the latest news.
As a citizen, look for our posters in the windows of participating businesses, buy a Go Local Card and enjoy special offers at over 360 networked establishments.
By supporting Asheville Grown Businesses, you are promoting a dynamic living economy as a way of life.
Send us your questions, comments and ideas. Since we are a volunteer-run organization, please be patient. We make every effort to address each e-mail we receive individually, as soon as we can.